How to Secure Your Online Gaming Site
The online gaming industry has been witnessing immense popularity and adoption in the last few years. Rising internet penetration, advances in modern technology, and the sophistication of mobile devices have all led to its sustained growth. According to reports, the global gaming industry is expected to register a CAGR of 12% during the forecast period 2020-2025, with players spending $4.5 billion on immersive gaming. But despite the growth, piracy and security issues are endemic, which can hamper market confidence – if not addressed quickly and efficiently.
How online gaming sites can be secured
Preventing and combating fraud and personal data misuse and ensuring the online gaming business remains fully operational at all times requires organizations to take key steps in securing their online gaming site. Here are some ways to do this:
- Use standard SSL encryption: One of the first steps in securing your online gaming site is by using industry-standard SSL encryption. By establishing a secure connection between the web server and a browser, it creates a foundation of trust, ensuring gamers access the site using an encrypted connection. It also makes sure credit card numbers, social security numbers, and login credentials are transmitted securely between the client and the server.
- Make use of firewalls: Implementing firewalls for your online gaming site is also a great way to provide protection against cyber-attackers. Firewalls can help shield your site from malicious actors and prevent them from accessing a computer or network via the internet. You can configure firewalls to block data from certain locations, network addresses, applications, or ports, and ensure the required level of security for your gaming site.
- Invest in a modern antivirus: As gaming sites become extremely vulnerable to hacking and other data breaches, investing in a modern antivirus solution can safeguard them against attacks. Not only can the software keep malware at bay, but it can also protect your site against viruses and other attacks. In addition, it can also help block spam ads and sites, protect against identity theft, and ensure the gamer experience is seamless and secure.
- Carry out frequent threat modeling analysis: Threat modeling analysis is a good way of assessing the security of a site. It can help identify the strengths of your online gaming site while providing an insight into weaknesses that need to be looked into. By assessing system security prior to and during the development process, it makes security everyone’s responsibility while ensuring comprehensive and continuous assessment across the development cycle.
- Enable 2-factor authentication: Given the ease and sophistication with which hackers gain unlawful access to personal information, it is also a good practice to strengthen the authentication process. 2-factor authentication can add an extra layer of security to your gaming site, by allowing users to enter two different credentials using two different devices or authentication apps.
- Patch and update: Since new-age hackers are constantly searching for new vulnerabilities in systems, frequently patching and updating can also help maintain the stability, performance, and overall success of your online gaming site. Patches can not only fix bugs and close existing security vulnerabilities; they can also help you make the most of new security features and enhancements to maximize performance.
- Constantly back-up the site: Modern hackers, through the use of advanced tools, also have the capability to bring your entire gaming site down. Therefore, it is a good practice to have a robust back-up strategy in place, so your website can be constantly backed-up. If an unexpected event or hacking happens, you can quickly failover to a backup site and minimize downtime.
- Leverage intuitive risk management tools: The need for robust, certified, and secure online gaming platforms keep organizations happy and their players safe is pressing. Intuitive risk management tools monitor can every aspect of a gaming operation, providing automated alerts, so suspicious activity is swiftly detected and fraudulent behavior is immediately prevented.
- Invest in game analytics and logging: Lastly, another essential element that helps in making any gaming platform more secure and anti-fraud is to invest in a game analytics solution. Given how tech-savvy modern players have become, they could resort to developing cheat codes in exchange for monetary benefits or just for the thrill of winning. A robust game log combined with analytics n not only help collect, visualize, and understand player data, it can also help track and report unethical and fraudulent behavior and label (or ban) such players.
Having a multi-product, innovated, regulated, and mobile-focused online gaming site is not easy. Just as incorporating new features into your site is important, so is the need to constantly revisit your security posture to ensure your site is always safeguarded against hacking, malware, and phishing attacks. Following a handful of best practices can help you meet some critical security requirements while providing the most engaging and evocative experience for players across your website. And of course, the best way to ensure a comprehensive security strategy is baked into your online gaming site is to work with a technology partner who has the right set of skills in building gaming sites.